C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis

Friday, October 18, 2013

Work for Tuesday 22 October 2013

This is the day I would like to see the whole draft written or typed with heading and title.  You might have from 5 to 10 or more paragraphs.  Remember:  this is not the final draft but the one I will make comments on so you can add to or change any ideas.  Then you will edit,  fix the grammar, spelling and punctuation that I suggest.  When you receive the paper back with comments, then you will revise and edit for a grade.

Here is an outline of how your paper might look:
I.                The Introduction answers three questions:
1. What am I talking about in this paper?
 For example, if your paper is about a particular book, your answer to this question would give the title, author, and Publisher and date.
2. What am I going to prove in this paper? You need to formulate the Thesis/or Main idea before you decide the points you will talk about.
3. The thesis is usually the last sentence in the first paragraph and it clearly states the   points  you will make in your paper.

 II.               The Body consists of everything between your intro and conclusion; here you discuss your three main points. (envision that each point is a separate paragraph or in a long paper a section).  A short paper has three body paragraphs.

In each paragraph you:

1.     Introduce your point

2.     Explain your point

3.     Give supporting evidence (this is where quotes go.  At least use one quote per paragraph).

4.     Explain how the points and evidence in each paragraph relates to your thesis.
(The whole point of each paragraph is to relate your point to your thesis, but it helps to spell it out clearly in at least one sentence of the paragraph.  Often the first sentence of the paragraph alerts the reader to each point.
 
 III.          The conclusion restates the main points (3) you have written in your introduction.        Point one leads to point two which leads to point three: therefore, the main idea concludes the paper.  Or it can be comments on to whom and why you would recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment